(New York) The major digital platforms seem to have undertaken to purge the internet of QAnon: Twitter announced Monday that it had deleted 70,000 accounts affiliated with this pro-Trump conspiracy movement involved in the recent riots in Washington.
Posted on January 11, 2021 at 2:07 p.m.
Updated at 15:43
– Advertisement –
Juliette MICHEL with Julie JAMMOT in San Francisco
France Media Agency
This is the latest intervention after a hardening of your general tone, linked to the fear of new violence organized online, via their services.
Earlier in the day, Amazon had kicked Parler from its servers. The tech giant blames the social network, popular with QAnon followers and other supporters of the outgoing president, for letting problematic messages proliferate after the assault on the Capitol.
Twitter has “permanently suspended” 70,000 accounts affiliated with this far-right movement since Friday, when it decided to permanently block Donald Trump’s account, accused of having encouraged his supporters to disrupt the certification of the victory of the Democrat Joe Biden by Congress.
“These accounts were sharing dangerous content associated with QAnon on a large scale,” Twitter said in a statement, adding that many individuals had multiple profiles.
– Advertisement –
This is not the first time the networks have tried to contain these conspirators. In early October, with the approach of the US presidential election, Facebook had deleted accounts. Twitter and YouTube had taken similar steps.
But they no longer take gloves since the invasion of the Capitol, which shocked the country and tarnished its image internationally.
Also on Monday, Facebook let it be known that it would not lift the suspension of Donald Trump’s account and would withdraw all messages containing the slogan “Stop the theft”, which the American president helped to spread on social networks, in reference in the election he accuses the Democrats of having “stolen” from him.
Talking, already unloaded from the application download platforms of Apple and Google, finds himself ostracized.
The conservative network filed a complaint against Amazon on Monday. He believes the suspension is motivated by political considerations and the desire to reduce competition to the benefit of Twitter.
– Advertisement –
“It’s like disconnecting a patient on life support. It’s going to kill the business – just as it was skyrocketing, ”Parler wrote in her complaint.
The three large companies criticize Parler for a policy of moderation that is too lax. Faced with the profusion of messages encouraging violence, “Speaking cannot, or does not want, quickly identify and remove this content,” Amazon said again Monday in a message sent to AFP.
Talking’s popularity skyrocketed after Donald Trump’s account was permanently closed by Twitter on Friday: his application was the most downloaded in the United States on the Apple platform on Saturday.
In an interview with Fox News on Sunday, the site’s co-founder, John Matze, pointed out that getting the site up and running could take time.
“All our partners, those who manage the text messages, the emails, our lawyers, let us down the same day,” he lamented.
“We will do everything we can to get back online as quickly as possible but all the suppliers we contact tell us that they do not want to work with us if Apple or Google does not approve,” he said. he explains. And it is difficult to find “300 to 500 computer servers in 24 hours”.
In a statement Sunday evening, he reaffirmed his desire to make Parler a place of “open dialogue” where violence was in no way tolerated.
Launched in 2018, the Nevada-based social network works much like Twitter, with profiles to follow and “parlys” instead of tweets.
The platform especially attracted ultra-conservative fringes in its early days. But she’s also now welcoming more traditional Republican voices like Fox News presenters Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson or Republican Governor of South Dakota Kristi Noem.
Already in full swing, conservative platforms like Parler or Gab have welcomed in recent days a number of new subscribers, upset by the decision of consumer networks to suspend the tenant of the White House.
About “600,000 to 700,000” Internet users currently register on Gab every day, said Andrew Torba, co-founder of this network created in August 2016.
But conservative social networks are likely to have to adjust to the new terms dictated by the internet giants.
The live video service DLive, used by several demonstrators during the invasion of the Capitol on Wednesday, has banned seven channels and removed more than 100 videos from its site.
Some might choose to do like Gab, who has set up his own servers so as not to depend on outside companies.
These were the details of the news Tech giants purge internet of pro-Trump extremists for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.
It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at en24 news and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.