Hong Kong censorship debate grows as internet firm says can block ‘illegal acts’

Hello and welcome to the details of Hong Kong censorship debate grows as internet firm says can block ‘illegal acts’ and now with the details

Anti-government protests in 2019 relied heavily on social media channels like Telegram which allowed protesters to organise anonymously. Many sites also sprung up in support of the protest movement, though a number shut after the passage of the security law. — Reuters pic
Nevin Al Sukari – Sana'a – Anti-government protests in 2019 relied heavily on social media channels like Telegram which allowed protesters to organise anonymously. Many sites also sprung up in support of the protest movement, though a number shut after the passage of the security law. — Reuters pic

HONG KONG, Jan 15 — The company which approves internet domains in Hong Kong said it will now reject any sites that could incite “illegal acts”, raising new concerns about freedoms after Beijing’s imposition of a national security law on the Chinese-ruled city last year.

Holders of .hk domains were advised of the policy change late yesterday, sources told Reuters, hours after internet service provider Hong Kong Broadband Network (HKBN) said it had blocked access to HKChronicles, a website offering information about anti-government protests.

The moves came just days after the arrest of over 50 pro-democracy activists, and sources have told Reuters that China is planning a further crackdown.

HKBN said it had blocked the website, which also publishes personal information on Hong Kong police officers, in compliance with the national security law, the first such censorship in the city of its kind.

Anti-government protests in 2019 relied heavily on social media channels like Telegram which allowed protesters to organise anonymously. Many sites also sprung up in support of the protest movement, though a number shut after the passage of the security law.

In the emails, the Hong Kong Domain Name Registration Company (HKDNR) alerted holders of .hk domains to the new “acceptable use” policy by its parent, Hong Kong Internet Registration Corporation Limited (HKIRC), which goes into effect on January 28, according to copies shared by recipients with Reuters.

It said it could reject applications for new .hk sites that it believes could incite criminal acts, abuse privacy or provide false or misleading information.

It was not immediately clear whether the policy will apply to existing .hk websites. The HKIRC, the HKDNR and the Hong Kong government did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

“The rollout of the acceptable use policy is quite worrying,” said one website operator who declined to be identified, citing fear of repercussions.

“Things like providing false or misleading information, who are they to decide? Are these preventive measures for future false news regulations?”

The moves are fuelling worries that a censorship mechanism similar to China’s “Great Firewall” is being put in place in Hong Kong.

While the internet in mainland China is heavily censored and access to many foreign platforms like news sites is blocked, residents in Hong Kong have so far enjoyed greater freedoms under the “one country, two systems” framework that it was promised when Britain handed it back to China in 1997.

China Mobile and PCCW, the other major internet providers in Hong Kong, did not respond to Reuters requests for comment.

Wong Ho Wah, who is running for Hong Kong’s legislature to representing the information technology sector, said he was deeply worried that Hong Kongers’ freedom to access information on the internet was starting to be affected.

“The government has the responsibility to explain the justification and the rationale of the action,” he said, referring to the blocking of HKChronicles’ website. — Reuters

These were the details of the news Hong Kong censorship debate grows as internet firm says can block ‘illegal acts’ for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.